Truefaced

Sunday, January 08, 2006

By Now He Surely Stinketh ! Do you remember the story of Lazarus ? One sister says this to Jesus who is about to bring her brother out of the tomb. The other sister says, "Do whatever He says."
I really wish the writer of the story would of included the part of the story as the stone was rolled away from the tomb. Was there a smell that oozed out from the tomb that was dispelled by the presence of Jesus ? Or did Lazarus restoration begin even before the stone was rolled away ? His body laid there , quietly cold, but not in decay ?
Our God , the Lord Jesus Christ, being the divine creator of all things could have performed this miracle of bringing Lazarus to life, either way.
I have to believe this. Further more, I want to believe this story can apply to my spiritual life as well.
As in earlier blogs ,you are aware of my identification with the Elder Brother in the story of the Prodigal Son. For me to come and encourage the Elder Brothers out there, that we can change has been my goal.
If it has been sounding like
"something we can do" , I need to apologize.
There are only a few things we can do.
Really , only one.
It involves a choice, something like Mary made, as she sat at the feet of Jesus taking in His every word. Not minding if she was admired or not by those around her, for her busyness. Not even minding if she was rebuked for her choice. When the time come for Jesus to perform a miracle, she was ready, "Do what He tells you," she says. Obedience, trust, lack of love for self (by the worlds standards), maybe you see other character traits as well.
However, the bottom line is without Jesus that brother of hers would not of come alive. Without Jesus there would have been no miracle.
I know this is what this Elder Brother needs to get through it's head. You are not going to work a miracle on yourself by renewing your mind. You are not going to make enough right choices to obey. You are not going to perform some miracle even by trusting God. Even not loving yourself as others tend to love themselves is not going to be the key.
Those things are all good though. Those things are the by product of waiting on Jesus, yet Jesus, is the One I need to set me free. Jesus is the One I need to speak unto my heart and breathe new life into me.
As I come to Him and drink His living water..... my soul, mind, heart and strength is renewed. Not to it's fullness but a process of restoration that assures my heart, that He has been here.

1 comment(s):

It does indeed feel that "he's been there" when we've let him do some remodeling to make more room in our heart for Him.

By Blogger Chris Beason, at 8:34 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home